Heaps of uncollected garbage, blocked drains, and overflowing bins have become a daily sight in Vasai-Virar. The problem isn’t just poor civic planning—it’s the result of an ongoing legal battle between the Vasai-Virar Municipal Corporation (VVMC) and eight contractors responsible for solid waste management in the area.

What started as a standard government process to assign the task of garbage collection has now turned into a major civic issue, affecting lakhs of residents across the region.

The Backdrop: What Went Wrong?

Back in September 2024, the VVMC floated a tender worth ₹207 crore for solid waste management services to cover the years 2025 to 2028. The job included door-to-door garbage collection, daily street cleaning, sewage chamber maintenance, and dumping of collected waste at designated yards. After thorough scrutiny, eight contractors were found eligible and were expecting to begin the work soon.

But to their shock, VVMC cancelled the tender in May 2025, citing “technical grounds” and issued a fresh tender. This new one was not only re-announced but also raised in value—from ₹207 crore to ₹254 crore.

The decision to scrap the earlier tender came as a rude shock to the contractors, especially since they had already paid the fees required to begin operations. Frustrated, they approached the Bombay High Court to challenge the decision, seeking a stay on the second tender.

“We were ready to start immediately. We had only requested a 10% annual increase. Instead of addressing our concerns, the municipal commissioner chose to cancel the entire tender and float a new one,” said one of the contractors involved in the case.

VVMC’s Stand: Population Growth Behind Budget Hike

Responding to the uproar, Sanjay Herwade, Additional Municipal Commissioner at VVMC, explained the logic behind the revised tender value. According to him, Vasai-Virar’s population has seen massive growth since 2007, increasing from 12 lakh residents to a much larger number today. This, he said, justified the higher cost estimate.

He further added that the contractors are free to participate in the new tender by simply reapplying. However, the contractors argue that they already qualified through a rigorous process and it is unfair to disregard their eligibility.

Court Proceedings and a Twist in the Tale

The matter has now reached the Bombay High Court, which has already conducted two hearings—on June 9 and June 18, 2025. However, no ruling or stay order has been passed so far.

A dramatic turn came during the June 18 hearing, when Dhananjay Gawade, a social activist and founder of the NGO Swaraj Abhyan, intervened in the case. Gawade told the court that the eight contractors in question were blacklisted back in 2019 for alleged misappropriation of ₹122 crore in a similar civic project. An FIR had also been filed at the time.

Gawade argued that the contractors should never have been considered in the first tender due to this history. The court has now asked Gawade to submit a formal written application to support his claims.

The accused contractors, however, maintain their innocence. They insist that the companies they are currently representing have never been blacklisted and that they fully meet the eligibility criteria laid out by VVMC.

Residents Caught in the Crossfire

While the legal and administrative battles continue, the ones bearing the brunt are the residents of Vasai-Virar. With no clear system in place for garbage disposal, solid waste has started to pile up in many areas. Stormwater drains, which should be cleaned ahead of monsoon, remain choked. The roads in several parts of the city are already showing signs of waterlogging—an ominous sign of what’s to come if the situation is not resolved soon.

Raj Dosani, a 45-year-old resident of Vasai, expressed his frustration. “The roads are flooding because the drains are not cleaned. If garbage collection stops completely, we’re heading toward a health crisis,” he said.

Others echo similar concerns, worried about sanitation, mosquito breeding, and the general decline in hygiene. The timing couldn’t be worse, as the monsoon season approaches—when efficient waste management becomes critical to preventing disease outbreaks.

What Happens Next?

For now, the fate of garbage management in Vasai-Virar hangs in the balance. The High Court is expected to continue hearing the case, but with no stay issued yet, VVMC has the legal clearance to go ahead with the new tender process.

Meanwhile, the eight contractors await justice, maintaining that they have been unfairly sidelined. On the other hand, questions about their past dealings raise doubts about their credibility.

As the legal wrangling continues, residents are hoping that either the court or the civic body will step in quickly to restore order. Because for the people living amid growing garbage heaps and choked drains, the courtroom delays come at the cost of health, hygiene, and basic civic dignity.


If this issue isn’t resolved soon, Vasai-Virar may be facing not just a garbage problem—but a full-blown public health emergency.